Monday, June 7, 2021

Maangchi's Korean Honey Butter Fried Chicken

Those of you who know me already know that I have cooked my way around the world. Doing that project comes along with some perks, such as knowing what cuisines are freaking tasty! I think that one of both my husband and my favorite countries is Korea. I'm talking particularly about Korean street food. I have a Korean food guru. Sure, there's many great YouTube channels out there. Off the top of my head, I can think of Asian At Home with Seonkyoung Longest. This evening, however, I'm going to feature my Korean cooking guru's recipe of Honey Butter Fried Chicken. To get a better idea of how to do this recipe, simply watch Maangchi's video on YouTube.

I refuse to fry inside of the fifth wheel. I do not want to clean that up...ever. Ever. EVER! I like to set everything up, in an order that makes sense to me, on our gas grill. I also use my only cast iron skillet that I have in the trailer. It's a pretty small one, but it works fine for the two of us.
I use wings that I cut down. These are what Maangchi suggests and that's what I did. There is a reason that I do not deviate from this magnificent recipe and I'll tell you all why that is further down in this post.
I don't use a thermometer. I use a wooden chopstick to test to see how hot my oil is. The side burner of our gas grill can get really hot, so once I get my first batch of breaded wings in to fry, I cut that heat back to a bit less than halfway. You'll have to figure out how your stove/burner works.
I fried up this chicken in 2 batches. Each piece of chicken will be fried for 5 minutes TWICE on each side. You cook for 5 minutes, flip over, cook for 5 minutes, flip back over, cook for 5 minutes and then flip over for the final 5 minutes. Do not deviate from this. This is the third time I've made this recipe. The first time, I cooked everything precisely as Maangchi said to. The second time, I thought I knew better and I screwed the whole thing up. The third time, I went back to exactly how Maangchi said to do it and they were just as delicious as the first time. Make sure to follow the recipe and the cooking times.
This is the final fry before removing to a metal strainer to drain over a stainless bowl.
Let them drain just like this. Eventually, all your pieces of chicken should wind up in the strainer. That's when you let the oil heat for a minute and you put everyone back into the hot tub for their second fry. These are double fried and that is why they are so extremely crunchy!
This is the honey butter sauce that the wings will be tossed in.
These are finished wings. Let me know if you make these! I totally fan girl on Maangchi because she liked one of my Tweets that I mentioned her in before. Thank you, Maangchi!

6 comments:

  1. I just need to be able to find some decent chicken wings!
    Then I can make a batch of this deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2020 tp challenge has become 2021 wing challenge! I am officially a wing hoarder!!

      Delete
    2. You will not be disappointed. Just remember, this is the double fry method and they are crunchy crunchy! I recommend consuming with an ice cold Dr. Pepper.

      Delete
    3. Suzanne, I hope I don't have a hard time finding wings in the future. As chance would have it, one of our neighbors has a relative that works at Foster Farms and I can get wings for a discount, which is awesome. We do eat a lot of chicken here.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcome. I can get lost in Maangchi's YouTube videos for a few days!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!