Saturday, April 16, 2022

Our "Livestock"

 I was washing some dishes this morning. I want to get a jump start on our Easter dinner menu. Anyhow, I had just filled the sink with dishes that needed to be rinsed when I heard Bob exclaim, "Look at all those elk!"
I thought he saw the bull that was hanging around when we first moved in. I looked out the window and was pleasantly surprised! Bob counted 15, but they were on the move, so there very well could have been more.



I know that bull had been in our yard a few months ago because I found evidence of him all over. 



I love having the elk around. I just don't want them in my garden. We'll have to take the good with the bad. The previous resident had a couple of dogs that had all but run the elk and deer off, or so we've been told. Our dogs don't do that because we supervise ours when they are outside. If they are outside, we're outside.
Here's our Grr-ells. We have Rose on the left and Sasha on the right. Hopefully, with their scent all over the yard, the elk won't find my garden so enchanting and won't mistake it for an all-you-can-eat salad bar.

I don't think our Grr-ells would hurt the elk. They would probably try to herd them. They are Australian kelpies. That's what kelpies do.



This is what we woke up to on Monday (just 5 short days ago). It all melted off rather quickly, but we were in about 8 inches of snow here. You can see that hill that the elk were on in the background. When this melts off, we get quite the pond down below. 



So the elk come down to drink. They like to browse on vegetation, too. They can nibble over there all they want. I'm happy to coexist with them as long as they stay out of my garden.



They were there for quite a while.



We've had deer right up here in the yard. This was a week ago.



There was 3 of them. They were not even scared. This was right before the snow came. 

 


 The livestock grazed for around 20 minutes until they sauntered off into the treeline. 



These are neighbors that I shall enjoy immensely...as long as they stay out of my garden.

6 comments:

  1. Nature can be quite beautiful but inconvenient at times. Beautiful backdrops though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as long as they stay out of my garden, they are welcome to hang around. As for the snow, it did a lot of damage. It was a super wet and super heavy snow. We had several trees come down.

      Delete
  2. Just amazing! We have to be satisfied with just a few deer. There used to be so many. Hopefully you will all be able to co-exist. You are so fortunate to be where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We recently, just before it snowed on the 10th, had 3 yearling deer come right up through the yard, by the pigpen. I'm glad that Rose (our brown dog) didn't see them or they would have run off. The elk were over on the cat trail (logging term) going up the ridge from the rock pit...but it is still our front yard, so that was extremely cool.

      Delete
  3. You are so lucky! I would love to have deer wander into my yard. We do get kangaroos in the local park in the early mornings - definitely tight leash time, because dogs and kangaroos don't mix well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kangaroos? I've never seen one. Deer are a pain because they will eat my garden in no time flat. They sure are cute, though.
      I think I'd love to see a kangaroo in my yard, though. That would be amazing!

      Delete

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!