Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Creamy Chicken Orzo

 It's been snowing off and on all day today. We wanted some serious carby comfort food. Bob took out a chicken breast for dinner. Normally, I'd cut it up and marinate it in yogurt and make some Indian inspired dish with a side of rice, but I didn't want that today. I wanted pure comfort food. I found this recipe online and used it for inspiration. Click here to view. I reworked the recipe.




This recipe starts out with me poaching the chicken breast in some chardonnay, water, salt, peppercorns and 4 cloves of garlic that I put through my garlic press. I let it cook and I diced it up.



Then I diced up celery, onion and carrots.



I minced up a few cloves of garlic. I didn't put these through the press because I didn't want that heavy of a garlic flavor.




Gather the rest of your ingredients.




Saute the vegetables in some olive oil in a pot with a heavy bottom. I use my enameled cast iron Dutch oven.



Cook for about 5-7 minutes and then add the garlic, broth and orzo pasta.






Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid is mostly absorbed by the pasta.




Just as it is finishing up, add in 1/4 cup of heavy cream and mix it in.


Creamy Chicken Orzo
4 servings
1 tablespoon
extra-virgin olive oil
1/2
medium yellow onion, chopped
3
ribs celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2
garlic cloves, minced
4 cups
chicken stock
1-2 cups
shredded cooked chicken
1/2 pound
orzo
1 teaspoon dried parsley

Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup heavy cream

Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute longer
Add the chicken stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
Once the stock is boiling, stir in the chicken and orzo. Reduce the heat to medium and add the parsley, salt, thyme, and pepper.
Simmer until the veggies are tender, the orzo is creamy and amost of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Add heavy cream and mix to combine.





3 comments:

  1. I'm SO making this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conda here - I WILL be making this dish....omg that looks so warming and comforting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!