Monday, July 1, 2024

What We've Been Up To Lately On Kelpie Kapers Farm

I haven't forgotten about this blog. I have just been super busy with things these past several months. Our little farm has expanded. While I wasn't able to get the all the tomato and pepper starter plants out for sale like I wanted, I was able to make a bit of money this year. I wasn't able to quite break even as we had to haul in all new soil If you remember, the last time I blogged, I had grown out 62 tomato varieties. We tore down our tomato garden. It used to look like this:
That is no longer there. We put in a raised bed garden and this is what it looks like now:
We have a total of 6 beds. 4 of them are 2x4 ft., 1 is 3x6ft. and the big one is 4x12 ft. We put a cattle panel down the middle. It works well to trellis tomatoes up. I'm only growing 26 tomato plants this year. We've added to our farm family. We expanded our birds to include:
We have Embdens and African geese. The Embdens are the white ones. We have Georgie, Leonard, Sheldon, Penny and Amy Farrah Fowler. But wait, there's more! Several weeks ago, on the NextDoor app, I had a gentlemen, from my local area, DM me and ask if we were missing a peacock. I told him no, I wasn't, but I would be more than happy to give it home if he couldn't find the owners. He looked for two weeks and nobody claimed this peahen, so he got back in touch with me and told me to have Bob run up and get her. So, we brought Nila, our Blue India peahen home.
Nila got to spend a few days in the greenhouse while Bob built her enclosure. We figured Nila was pretty lonely, so I joined a peafowl group on Facebook. I got in touch with a lady, from north of Centralia, who sold us Nila's boyfriend, Fred. They called him Pretty Boy, but I wasn't going to call him that. I tried all sorts of cool sounding Hindi names on him and he chose Fred, so Fred he is. Fred is a pied Blue India, so he's a rare.
There's no two ways about it, Fred is, indeed, a pretty boy, but his name is Fred. With him being a pied, Nila has a chance at producing an all-white offspring. White peacocks are the rarest. We're hoping to get one. We could also end up with a black peacock. It's really weird how these genetic color mutations work with peafowl. Quite interesting stuff, if the truth is told. So, Bob and I haven't jumped ship or anything. We've been busy with our farm and YouTube channel. You can subscribe by clicking here. We still have the chickens, turkeys and guineas. We're teaching the geese to graze in the yard and stay there. It's hilarious watching Bob herd them. I'll try not to go so long in between posts next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!