Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Planting Potatoes-I Chit You Not

 Last year, I had pretty good success with my straw method of growing potatoes. I'll be using that method again this year. I'm doing a few things differently, however. I'm actually chitting out my potatoes this year. I usually don't do this, but I have a reason. I'm cutting the larger potatoes that I chit out so that I have more to plant. I want to see if I can duplicate last year's harvest using few seed potatoes. I am trying to figure out the most frugal way to get the most potatoes in my harvest.

Just for a reminder, here was my potato bed last year and some photos of what we harvested.









I planted a mix of Red Norlands, Mountain Rose, Kennebec and Yukon Gold.
This year, I'm going with Red Norland and Yukon Gold.



Some of these chitted out nicely. I cut the larger ones in half. For me to cut them in half, they have to have eyes all around them.


The 6 on this tray, I just bought. I'm leaving them out in the light. That will cause them to start to chit out.


This is a nicely chitted potato.


I didn't cut it because it only chit on one end.





By this weekend, if the weather holds, and we manage to get over to the feed store for a bale of straw, I'll get these all planted out. I'm going to get a scale before harvesting so that I can get an accurate weight on how many I've grown. I know that I have 8 pounds of seed potatoes going in.

This will be a new adventure, for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Conda here, can't wait to see your potato bounty!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!