Saturday, April 15, 2023

Garden Update April 2023

 It's that time again. Everything is waking up. I see the wild currant bushes are blooming. My rhubarb is waking up.



Back behind the potato bed, I plan on getting a few stakes and some netting and fencing off a little area for radishes and lettuce. I'm hoping it will be enough to keep the rabbits and deer out.





Speaking of which, we've gotten a lot of rain lately and the big puddle down in the rock pit has finally filled up with water. It's deep enough for the deer to swim in. I saw them do that yesterday. You can see the pink blooms of the wild currant bush.





Here you can see one of the does swimming. It was pretty cool to watch.



We planted out potatoes a few weeks ago. It's about time to get these covered with straw.



These violas wintered over just fine. I'm glad they did. These are my favorite ones so far.



I bought some onion sets and planted this pot out with them. These are my spring onions. I don't let them get huge. I use as scallions.



I had planted this raised bed out with Walla Walla sweet onions and the bottom fell out of it. They were made from untreated lumber and will only last just so long and, well, its time had come. Bob cut the legs off and lowered it down so that I can get one last season from it. I'll get some onions from it, but I was pretty bummed about it giving up the ghost.



Another bed of Walla Walla sweet onions.



This is a Castelfranco raddichio. It's sharing this bed with banana shallots.



I planted out 2 beds with German Red Musik hard-neck garlic. It's coming along quite nicely.



We have the cover on one of the greenhouses. These only have 1 door on them, so we are going to make it to where they both open in the middle.



It's so much bigger than the one I had last year. I'll really be able to grow some super tender crops inside of there with no crowding problems at all. I think I'll put 3 rows of big pots.



We are tossing around the idea of doing a raised bed on the ground. We haven't quite decided on that yet.


 
I have so many beds of frigging onions! I went WAY overboard.



We let this get away from us completely. This is where the raspberry bushes are. Bob's got his work cut out for him, for sure.



In this bed, I have broccoli, red cabbage, Brussels sprouts and red onions. Yes, even more onions! I also have viola.



I'll be up-potting nightshades this coming week and they will go into the greenhouse.



We're opting to grow our peas at the end of our deck this year. The second greenhouse took up a lot of room, so we figured this would be a good spot to put them. I have 10 different varieties.



I have a few lettuce plants going. I'll have even more to plant out next week. I started 50 different types of lettuce and greens.



And, lastly, our chicken pen. We bought an old 10x53-foot used industrial tarp to put over the top as a roof. It's in the back of my truck. I haven't gotten pullets yet, but we're planning on that in the next week or so. We'll brood them in the coop. It's plenty big enough and we have a heat lamp and a brooder heater in there for them. I cannot brood them inside. The cats would be after them and, with the dust that they would create, it wouldn't be good for my breathing problems.

Thanks for taking the garden tour. I hope to post another one in a few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Conda here, I'm so excited to see your garden grow.! I'm planning out my salsa garden and plan to buy plants this first year. Next year, I'll have time to start seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For pepper and tomato seeds, you will want to invest in a seed starting flat with an 11-inch vented dome, a heat mat and a full-spectrum grow light (which is cheap enough on Amazon). Let me know when you're ready and I can help you find something that will work for you.

      Delete

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!