Wednesday, June 7, 2023

I Call Fowl!!

 It's time for an update on our poultry. I'm happy to report the chickens are now out of the coop. Today was their first day out. Today, coincidentally, is the day that we got our turkey chicks and guinea fowl. We got 3 of each. I gave a guy some tomato plants and he gave me back birds in return. I can hang with that.

I haven't been able to get out to see the girls much since we brought them home. Today, this is what I was looking at. They all looked to have all their feathers, so I told Bob to toss them outside and clean the coop out. It was pretty bad in there.





So, all that gross junk is gone. The chickens can now come and go as they choose.


Today, these guys showed up. The white ones are turkeys and the others are guinea fowl.





All 15 Henriettas love being out. They were so cramped in that coop, even though it's pretty big inside.


They are loving getting explore their new world.


This is one of our turkey kids.


You can definitely tell that they have "cliques". There are some of the chickens that really hang together in definite groups. 



The turkeys and the guineas hang out together. It's like having little gangs in the chicken 'hood.








Rose keeps them all rounded up. She's a pretty good guard dog.




Rose patrols the perimeter, looking for birds trying to escape.


They've discovered their wings. 


They've learned about the roosts.


Now, they are eating and  drinking from their new feeders and waters. We put a wading pool in there and added in some dirt so that they can take dust baths.

Tonight will their first night without a heat lamp.
Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!