Saturday, June 5, 2021

Charro Beans with Garlic Scapes

I'm not sure what it is about food that takes a long time to cook, but I love it. If I don't have to dig out anything other than a large pot, I love it even better. If I can utilize something out of my garden, I love it even more. And, if it contains, not only bacon, but Mexican chorizo and ham...well, there's not enough words to describe how much I love it!


Garlic scapes. These are beyond delicious!!

 I harvested my garlic scapes and I didn't want to do the traditional compound butter with them. I wanted something a bit different. I've been saying, for the past week, that I wanted to make Charro Beans. I used the YouTube channel Views From The Road version as my base recipe. You should hit their subscribe button. They are a YouTube treasure.


Bacon, ham and chorizo all combine together to make something that is just amazing, as far as flavor goes.

This is making the entire fifth wheel smell delicious!







No. I am not digging out my Ninja Foodi. I'm not cooking the bacon separately in a frying pan. I cooked everything together in the same pot after soaking the beans overnight. This just gets cooked, on the stove top, over low heat.
The knobs on these propane stoves have a purpose and don't be scared to cook over propane. I'll have a hard time ever using an electric stove again, for sure!




Charro Beans with Garlic Scapes


1 pound soaked pinto beans, rinsed and drained
6 slices of bacon, thinly sliced
1 pound Mexican chorizo
1 cup cubed ham
1 yellow onion, diced small
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
1/2 pound chopped garlic scapes (reserve flower pods for something else)
2 large chopped tomatoes
1 half bunch roughly chopped cilantro (including stems)
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon chicken bouillion powder
1 cup chicken stock
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper, to taste
8-9 cups water

Soak beans overnight in water, salted (1 teaspoon), that covers beans by 2 inches. Rinse well, drain and set aside.

In a big pot, over low heat, cook bacon until fat is rendered, but the bacon is not crisp. Add in chorizo (I used the beef type, but pork would work just fine), cook for about 3-5 minutes. Add onion and jalapenos along the garlic scapes. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add tomatoes and spices with chicken stock. Add enough water to cover, around 8-9 cups. Cook, over low heat, simmering, for about 2-3 hours, or until beans are soft. Taste for salt and pepper. Add cilantro in and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
Serve with tortillas or corn bread.


7 comments:

  1. So glad you're blogging again. The recipe sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just needed to find the right platform.

      Delete
    2. And, yes, this was, quite possibly, the best Mexican-inspired recipe ever!

      Delete
  2. OK! Happy you are here and excited for the recipe journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be back on Blogger. It's exponentially more affordable to blog here.

      Delete
  3. Soumds yummy. And meaty, lol.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is!! I think you could leave the ham out and be fine, to be perfectly honest. I had it on hand, so I added it in.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!