Saturday, August 6, 2022

Grow Bag Potato Harvest

 We had planted out 9 grow bags of potatoes last year. We wound up not harvesting 3 of them. They were the ones that I planted out with Yukon Golds. I can't remember exactly why we didn't, I just know that we didn't. Those potatoes went through quite a bit. Floods, rains, snow, being moved, etc. We figured we'd leave them alone and just see what they would do this year. We didn't feed them or anything. All I did was put a bit of straw on the top to cover up the green leaves.

Today, we decided to harvest.



I grow potatoes in a very loose medium. It consists mostly of junk I got from under trees out in the woods. I've been using the same medium for the past 3 years or so. I get decent results. I wasn't expecting much from these bags, but they did surprise me.




When I went outside, Bob had already dumped the first bag. This was the result. Keep in mind that these were not fed and were leftover from last year.


Then he emptied the second bag. We are saving the growing medium to use again next year. It works quite well. I'll actually feed them next year.


I don't know what it is about digging the potatoes but it's like digging for buried treasure.

Here's more of the second grow bag results.


And even more. Bob has a great system in place for growing through and gleaning the potatoes.



Once he's completely gone through the growing medium and he's put the potatoes in the box, he funnels the growing medium back into the grow bags.


Results. That's all I can say. I'm impressed with the results.

The final grow bag is revealing it's Yukon Gold treasures.


Unearthing the final grow bag's results.



Come out, little potatoes! We know you're hiding in there!



I think we got the highest number of potatoes from the third bag.



More little Yukon Gold treasures.



Rose wanted to help. She's a good farm helper.
Once everything was said and done, we wound up with about 4-5 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes that we don't have to buy from the store at 99 cents per pound.
Not too shabby.

1 comment:

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!