Monday, August 8, 2022

Beginning of August Garden Update 2022

 I haven't posted a beginning of August garden update yet. By no means am I proud of every aspect of my garden. Quite to the contrary. There are parts of it that I'd rather just be done with, but the plants are alive and we will continue to care for them. I had some zucchini going, but the deer got them. I have a few little cucumbers. These are things that will be going into my new greenhouse next year. We just purchased a 20 foot long one. I'm more than doubling my greenhouse space. I have to. The critters got my cucurbits, my peppers, my corn and they would have my pole beans stripped if it weren't for Bob covering them with bird netting.
So this is what's going on now.









We have all sorts of tomatoes on the plants. None have ripened yet. I also included a photo of that volunteer er..tomato, too.



These are my rhubarb plants and my tomato bin.


The rhubarb are shaping up nicely. I've gotten around a quart or so from the 2 plants.


These are Scarlet Runner beans on the trellis. They are just starting to bloom.


Another shot of my rhubarb bushes. I want to add around 5 or so more.


This is a Cannellini bean. I'm growing these out for someone although I don't think I'm going to be able to send back the agreed amount of beans to that person this year. I may have to just save these and try again next year. That soil sure put me behind the 8-ball.


This is another bean variety that I'm growing for someone. These are called Senate Navy Soup beans. Again, horrible soil. 




My eggplant look completely and utterly pathetic. I bought these all as starter plants and planted them over where the carrots didn't come up. I have 4 plants and I have 3 eggplant between all 4. This is the Ichiban variety.


This is the Casper variety. I've never eaten a white eggplant before.



This is an eggplant bloom. This is on my Black Beauty eggplant.


We harvested the biggest cabbage. We're letting these go for a bit longer. These will get harvested soon. We are going to be going through our freezers and making up a care package of raw meat for a dog, so I'll have room to freeze these. One of them is going to my sister.


I'm letting a few of the Walla Walla Sweet onions go to seed. I don't know if any of you have priced seeds for this variety, but they are holy cow expensive, if you can even find them!

The broccoli is about done. I will be growing some more this fall, along with cauliflower.

 I bought 3 clematis bushes. 2 have survived.



I harvested all of the garlic. All of that poor, traumatized garlic that got uprooted and moved up here and replanted. I'm surprised that I even got any at all, if the truth be told.


I'm curing it in the greenhouse. It's a good place for it to do that. I ordered another half pound of seed garlic. It should arrive next month some time.


Baby cucamelons!! I think I just may see a little bit of a harvest on these!


These are my Tigger melon vines. They are loaded with blooms, but I don't know if I will be able to get them to fruit.




This is the row of pots that I have growing in the greenhouse. I can't wait to get that other one up here and put together. We're thinking about how we can really stabilize this one so that I can grow through the winter.

Another baby cucamelon. I really enjoyed the 4 I got last year when I grew them.


Baby okra starting out. I've harvest a dozen or so pods already. Okra will always have a place in my greenhouse from now on.
I ordered a couple of new varieties to try next year.

These Jing Orange okra are stunning looking plants.



This is an Okinawa Pink okra. I contemplated ordering these seeds from Baker Creek, but I ultimately decided not to. The Jing Orange had many more positive reviews and they weren't anywhere near as expensive.


This is my Siamese bitter melon. I ordered seeds so that I could grow this again next year. I obtained the seeds I planted this year from a trade.


I left the cups in the pots because they help me to keep the vines separated.

I hope you enjoyed the garden tour!

7 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! Love that eggplant bloom too.. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do throw off gorgeous flowers, as do tomatillos and okra.

      Delete
  2. I think a home brined corned beef & cabbage is in my future with the lovely cabbage gift 😋😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there will be a bit more than just that. You may want to chop some up and freeze it for later, too. These heads are in the 7-8 pound range.

      Delete
    2. Let me know if you want broccoli leaves, too.

      Delete
  3. I always love to see "how your garden grows"! A homesteader I watch on you tube has had a problem with soil this year too....he said he was sure it was contaminated with something, he's working on building a lot of compost to augment the soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's contaminated or just completely depleted.

      Delete

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!