Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Harvest Chicken & Rice

 Today was relatively cool at. We barely broke 70 degrees out. I had harvested quite a few of my Walla Walla Sweet onions a few days ago and we had a pretty decent picking of green beans. I also harvested my garlic so that I could get ready for the new seed garlic that I have coming in.

I came up with a new recipe for dinner tonight.


Bob had taken out a package of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs to thaw a few days ago and I needed to get them used up. We also picked a pretty decent sized mess of beans.


These are a mixture of my Tongues of Fire, Dragon Tongue, Tanya's Pink Pod, Cherokee Wax, Blue Lake and Contender beans.



The Harvest Chicken & Rice recipe starts out with a chopped sweet onion. You could use a Vidalia if you don't have Walla Walla Sweets available. I also chopped up one of my small heads of garlic. It doesn't get much more fresh than this.


I melted butter with olive oil. This is what I used to saute the onions and garlic.


Once the onion gets translucent, add in the rice and orzo mixture.



Saute this until the orzo starts to smell toasty and gets lightly golden brown. I cooked this in an enameled cast iron Dutch oven, so I did this low and slow.


I removed the skin from 4 chicken thighs. Then I sprinkled them, both sides, with a blend of spices.



Those get set upon the rice mixture once it has been browned.


Then I poured in chicken broth and water. I put the cover on the Dutch oven and let it cook in a moderate oven for 45 minutes.


This is a simple and delicious recipe. It hit all the right spots for us.



I served this with simple boiled beans. I cooked these in part chicken broth and part water. I didn't get a photo of the end result because we all know what boiled beans look like.

Harvest Chicken & Rice

4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1 small chopped sweet onion (like a Walla Walla Sweet or Vidalia)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado)
1-1/2 cups long grain white rice
1/3 cup orzo
1-3/4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water

Spice Rub for Chicken:

1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pull skin off of chicken thighs and rub with spice rub on both sides. Set aside.

Saute onion and garlic in butter and olive oil over medium heat until onion is soft and translucent. Add in rice and orzo. Stir to coat with oil/butter. Cook until the orzo begins to smell nutty and gets lightly golden brown.
Place seasoned chicken thighs on top of the rice, add broth and water. Remove from heat. Cover tightly. Place in preheated oven and cook for 45 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.

Fluff rice and serve.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. If I hadn't just cooked chicken thighs last nite, this would be on the menu for tonite. A great recipe and I don't have to make any changes because it's everything I can eat! We have rice and orzo frequently but I didn't know about combining them. Will be on our menu soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People may need to add more salt. I purposely keep the sodium low in the recipes that I create.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great fresh from the garden meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make several variations of rice in this fashion. I sometimes make it exactly as you do, with the same seasonings but add diced green & red bell peppers. It's one of our favorite ways to have rice that's not an Asian recipe. It's amazing how toasting it before adding the liquid boosts the flavor so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so make sure to leave me a comment!